Tuesday, October 12, 2021

SRK Greenway: Ragged Mountain

 

SRK Greenway - let's get started!
Great to be back on the SRK Greenway, this time doing the part between Mt Sunapee and Ragged Mountain. There's no backpacking allowed on the Greenway, which runs through private property, although in reality there are a few overnight options for backpackers. That includes my starting point for the day, the New Hampshire Mountain Inn, located on New Canada Road, which is part of the SRK Greenway on the north side of Ragged Mountain. We were checking out, but the Inn owner let me leave my car there for the day so I could hike the Greenway. It was nice to just walk straight out of the hotel and onto the trail, freshly showered, and with a dog instead of a heavy backpack. 

"Go faster, boss!"

The north side of Ragged Mountain was a delightful climb, with lots of terrain changes. It was not a slog, and it was never boring. Mostly it was gradual, occasionally steep, and it would often level out on some plateau for a bit, as it twisted and turned up the mountain. 

Nice variety going up Ragged Mountain

Part way up, a view opened up towards a second peak to the south called "the Pinnacle" on some maps. I believe this is the third spot called "the Pinnacle" along the overall route up from Long Island Sound, the other two being in Connecticut. This second peak is the same height as the Ragged Mountain peak. It's not clear if both peaks are considered part of Ragged Mountain or what. 


View towards Ragged Mountain's sister:  "the Pinnacle"
Eventually I heard some heavy equipment up ahead, and it turned out to be some work at the top near the ski facilities, close to the trail.  So I didn't get to explore the top at all, just pausing to snap a couple photos. Thankfully, the trail turn in the clearing was marked very well and I didn't have to worry about wandering around a moving backhoe to find the turnoff. 

Top of Ragged Mountain

It was an enjoyable walk between the two peaks. There was a one steep spot where instead of a heavy backpack pulling me back, I had an enthusiastic terrier pulling me up. 


"Do not ski this trail alone"
In the low area between the two peaks, the trail comes to a junction with a wider trail called Wilson's Wonder according to the sign on the ground. A ski trail. This isn't one of the Ragged Mountain ski resort trails. Instead, it heads to the south towards Proctor's Academy. The markings were confusing here. Fresh leaves covered the narrow SRK Greenway tread, so I needed the markings. 

Confusing markers at a trail junction. Do I go straight or left??
But there were two markings, one pointing ahead into the woods and another pointing left up the Wilson's Wonder ski trail. After some meandering about looking for the next marker, I finally figured out that what they meant was to first go straight, then go left. Better to get people through the intersection first with one blaze, then put a second blaze where the trail bends to the left. 


Looking back at Ragged Mtn from the Pinnacle overlook

The overlook at the Pinnacle was fantastic and a great place to have a break. The moody low clouds of the previous days had been replaced with summer-like conditions. It was warm and hazy, not the cool, clear October weather I was expecting. Mt. Kearsarge was right in front of me. That would be the next day's hike. Mt. Sunapee was on the far horizon, the last point on the right along a long ridge. That would hopefully be the day after. 



Mt. Kearsarge on the left. 
Mt. Sunapee is the right end of the ridge on the horizon.
The trail down the mountain followed ski trails and was super easy. 


Easy ski trails all the way down



This side of the mountain is the domain of Proctor Academy, a boarding school that got its start in 1848. Wikipedia says Proctor Academy is for grades 9-12 and has about 370 students with lots of dorms. The campus includes 2500 acres, including part of the SRK Greenway and some old ski paths. So the land is private and there is strictly no backpack camping. Having said that, at least one thru-hiker has received permission to reserve the Proctor camping facilities. There is a lean-to at Mud Pond (see map below) as well as a small cabin. Contact the Academy if you are interested in that. 




Old-timey skiers at Proctor Academy



Potential for camping permission at Mud Pond
(Click to enlarge)



Looking back across Route 4 at Proctor Academy

After wandering through the Academy parking lot and crossing Route 4, the trail markers directed me onto the Northern Rail Trail for a spell although I later noticed the SRK trail map shows their trail crossing the rail trail and then following the river. Always follow the blazes, not the map, because trails can be relocated after the map is published.  And then the Greenway comes to the Keniston Covered Bridge over the Blackwater River. This is the first water I remember seeing since New Canada Road on the far side of Ragged Mountain. By this point is was downright hot and the dog was eager for a swim. I refilled my water bottles, though the water was a bit murky (I found better water later on). 

Keniston Bridge over the Blackwater River
I was expecting a lot of street walking between Ragged Mountain and Mt. Kearsarge based on what the trail looked like, but most of the "roads" are nothing a car can go down. Maybe the occasional 4WD. 

I didn't have a designated stopping point, other than it had to be a place I could leave a car the next day. I just love the flexibility of slackpacking.  I was able to keep going up one old road after another, making fast time and gradually gaining elevation. 

Easy woods roads heading up the flanks of Kearsarge
Near a 4-way junction, I almost missed some old ruins with twin chimneys. Must be some pretty old roads. The dog loved running back and forth and I didn't have to worry about his leash getting tangled in the brush (I use an extend-leash that is bungee chorded to my pack shoulder strap). 

Random chimneys along the way


Roadwalk with views of Mt. Kearsarge

Eventually the trail came out onto actual streets with houses for a short spell before turning up the paved road leading up to Winslow Park. Part way up the road, my husband came by in his SUV. We're able to track each other with our phones, so he knew where I was. I gave him my pack and he gave me something icy cold to drink. How's that for service? This was not a good stopping point, however, so I continued up the hill to the big parking area, where I could leave my car the next morning. 

Winslow State Park entrance,
Mt. Kearsarge peak above
Winslow Park was nearly empty, but it clearly gets some big crowds, and the park website had urged people to get reservations.  There was no need for that on a weekday in mid-October. There had been an attendant at the gatehouse a bit earlier in the day, according to my husband, but the attendant was gone by the time I got there. The park fee, which they call a "donation", is $4 for each adult. So have some cash handy. 

Bring cash
It was a great spot to end the day. The park facilities are pretty far up Mt. Kearsarge, so there were some great views, and the top of Kearsarge was readily visible above the picnic grounds. 

Winslow State Park

We then headed back to the New Hampshire Mountain Inn to pick up my car, and on to an Airbnb called the Mountain House that was just perfect for us. It had a view of Mt. Kearsarge right outside the window, and a little fenced area for the dog. Perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment