Friday, September 14, 2018

NH MSG Section 3: Rt 9 to Rt 123 Pitcher Mtn

Fish ladder and trail walkway under Route 9
This hike started out by parking on Nye Road in Stoddard and searching out where the trail goes under Route 9 (I had crossed over the highway the day before, not realizing the trail went under the highway).  There was a huge box culvert with a fish ladder and paved sidewalk to accommodate the trail. Very cool, and I almost missed it. My civil engineer of a husband was taking photos and checking out the specs. I meant to follow the trail south to the big Rt 9 parking area where I had apparently missed some blazing just to see what I missed. Just north of the fish ladder were stepping stones leading across the stream towards the parking area, but they were flat, wet, tilted, and far apart, so I abandoned that idea. All it takes is one bad step on wet rock to end hiking for the season.

For about the next  mile, the trail follows a 4WD road gradually up the flanks of Melville Hill, about a 400-foot elevation gain. More easy walking.

Steeper parts were eroded
The steeper areas tended to have some erosion damage, while flatter areas were more pleasant to walk.  The old road finally leveled out as it skirted the heights of Dakin Hill (elev. 1940 ft)  at about elevation 1800 ft. I believe this is the big hill we saw from the Bed & Breakfast on the far side of Center Pond.

Flatter sections 
On the way down I passed by the first and only hiker of the entire 3-day trip. He had started in Nelson Center, hiked up to Fitcher Mountain, and was on his way back. And it was still morning. He said he had done the entire trail in the early 1990s when it first opened up and got lost because it wasn't well marked. He thought the trail was much improved and easy to follow now.

Club moss and mushroom
I'm on my third smart phone since first starting this accidental journey down near Long Island Sound in 2012. The camera on each one has gotten progressively better,  and at this point I don't bother lugging a big 'real' camera. The latest model can actually focus on things close up, like mushrooms, and it fits in my pocket.

Yellow Finger Coral Fungi
The old road down the north side of the hill seems wetter and steeper. There was a lot more erosion, so the trail left the worst of it, curved around to recross, then joined up with some other 4WD road that was less eroded. Need to keep an eye on the blazes here.

Zillions of Grass Spider nests at Center Pond
At the bottom of the hill, the trail turns right onto Center Pond Road. The Crider shelter is off to the west along what was apparently the former route of the trail. We were told by the innkeeper that the trail used to go along the backside of Center Pond, but the property owners shut it down and now we all get to walk down the road.

Center Pond
Shortly after reaching Center Pond Road, there was an unmarked short spur trail leading to the edge of the pond. I could see the bed & breakfast on the opposite shore. Also, there were a ridiculous number of spider webs. Mostly grass spiders. By the end of the trip I would see thousands of these nests along the ground, accented by morning dew.
Center Pond Chapel
Center Pond Road quickly turns to gravel and follows the shoreline of the pond between rows of cottages. I enjoyed checking out the buildings as I walked by. There was quite a variety. Some were upscale, others more modest, some were vintage and others modern. And then there was a sign for the Center Pond Chapel and "Free Water."

Center Pond Chapel
I expected a normal-sized church there, but instead there was an adorable 2-pew model, propped open by a cooler containing bottles of water.

Hummingbird Hill Bed & Breakfast on Center Pond Road
And then the road climbed a hill and I arrived "home": the Hummingbird Hill Bed & Breakfast. Pampered hiking at its best. Hung out for a bit until my husband got done golfing and picked up some sandwiches. We had a picnic behind the accommodations, with a view of Center Pond and the hill I just walked across.

Center Pond view, Dakin Hill beyond
After a spell, my husband drove me up to the Pitcher Mountain parking area so I could walk back to the Hummingbird.

Now going southbound for a few miles
There is something to be said for doing this little section southbound: It's all downhill.


I really enjoyed the section between Center Pond and Pitcher Mountain. No more road walking, and the trail was gorgeous.

Fir and spruce and white birch. Love the north woods. 
The north-woods character of the trail changed over to an overgrown farm featuring apple trees and apples on the trail. I bet the bear and deer hang out here.

Apples from an old apple orchard
Then there is a brushy hilltop apparently kept free of trees. Why? For blueberries? There would be more of this type of thing the next day, but this was the first section like this I'd seen since the M-M Trail. 

 Blueberry leaves with Pearly Everlasting
It was a clear day and Mt Monadnock could be seen in the distance.

Monadnock
The rest of the walk was lovely as the trail gradually descended through the forest down to Robinson Brook.

Smells like Christmas
The Robinson Cascades were gorgeous. All sorts of mossy rock and flowing water.


Robinson Cascades
I'm beginning to see more northern plants that don't grow in my neck of the woods. Love running into foliage that I associate with vacation trips but can't quite remember what it is. Snowberry growing into the trail was one of these.

Snowberry
As the trail approaches the north junction with Center Pond Road, it follows a driveway alongside a house, so close you can touch the house. There is even a greenway sign bolted to the house. This was a bit unnerving, but since I had received a heads up from the hiker I'd past earlier that day as well as the innkeeper where we were staying, it was expected. Very odd set up, though, and more markings would help.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Back at the Hummingbird Hill B&B, it was time for some swimming and kayaking on Center Pond. We took the kayaks across the pond to where I'd come out onto the shore earlier that day while hiking. Nice.

Same spot as earlier on the trail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment